Remote Proctoring is the process that can help you to conduct an online exam for remote candidates. Authentication of remote candidates is important so that you can allow a valid person to appear for an online exam. When a candidate is appearing for an exam from a remote location, you need to verify the person by checking his/her identity. Technology can help you to simplify this process. Here are the steps to verify it.
Here is a short video to understand this process
1. Candidates can log in to the system using valid credentials.
2. On Successful Login, the candidate is asked to enter the identity card number to be entered into the system
3. The system would validate it with records provided during registration, e.g, if the candidate has provided PAN number information, then the system would compare it with records available in the system.
4. If identity information matches, then the candidate needs to show his/her identity card to the remote proctor sitting and monitoring the candidate.
Here the candidate is showing his Identity card to be validated by the proctor.
5. If the identity is not valid, then the proctor may reject it. The candidate needs to redo this process of showing an identity card for validation.
6. If the identity is valid, then the candidate is allowed to move forward and appear for the online exam. During the Online exam, there is continuous streaming of the candidate’s activities. The exam screen is also blocked and the candidate can not open any other window during the online examination process.
7. Proctor can initiate a live chat with the candidate.
8. Candidates can appear for the exam within a defined exam timeline and finish the exam activity. The remote proctor can monitor it, and the system also records the overall process. Video of candidate activity is available in the system for audit purposes.
In this way, it is possible to conduct online exams for remote candidates in a secure environment. The candidate gets the flexibility of the location and the remote proctor can monitor the exam from any location. Technology provides a process framework to conduct online exams in a secure and proctored environment.
Remote Proctor has all the facilities and features to monitor the online exam activity of multiple candidates appearing for the exam from a remote location.
Pause/ Resume/ Terminate Exam:
Proctor has the special privilege of controlling the online exams. There is a facility to pause/ terminate the remote exam process. If, during the online streaming process, the proctor finds a candidate is not appearing for the online exam in a fair manner or trying to cheat, then the proctor can issue a warning or can pause/ terminate the exam process.
The entire activity of the exam process, along with candidate activity, is recorded using live streaming, so it is easy to audit the wrongdoings of the candidate related to the online exam process.
Here is the technical summary of managing online exams using Remote Proctoring
Usually, a remote proctor is able to see your face and surroundings to notice any sceptical behaviour that indicates cheating. But also, now the remote proctor is able to see your screen to help you troubleshoot any technical difficulties that you may face in the middle of the exam. The proctor is not able to access the files and documents on your system but can view the screen. This ensures that you are not able to cheat in the exam from your location and also helps you with any technical glitch instantly so that you do not lose out on time.
The technology of Remote Proctoring makes use of different methods to check whether the student is cheating or not during an online exam. A lot of factors are screened and recorded, such as the facial expression of the student, the background noises, and even the activities happening on the screen. If the system detects something that can be cheating, it does not penalise you on its own but will send a message to your institute. The faculty of the institute will check through the detected factor based on which the punishment will be decided. While some institutes may deduct certain marks, some others may even cancel the exam and make the student appear for a fresh exam again.
Remote Proctoring allows the students to take exams at remote locations without the need to visit the campus. This offers great convenience to students who are not able to travel and need to appear in the exam. On the other hand, the technology is helpful for the institutes also as it reduces the chances of cheating by the students. The system records the activities and facial expressions of the students while writing the exam. Also, it records the background sound and the activities happening on the screen. This enables the institutes to conduct online exams without cheating and also helps the students to get instant technical help in between the exam as and when required.
Different educational institutes use different remote proctoring software for their online exam. So, when you are taking an exam at home, you need to install the software suggested by the institute on your computer and have to verify yourself on it in steps such as setting up the webcam, taking your picture, enabling the mic, and others. When the exam starts, you have to switch on your webcam, and your mic as the software will be running in the background. Institutes may consider your taken test invalid if your computer webcam or mic is not on during the test.
Modern technologies have made lives so much more comfortable that now students can appear in exams from their remote locations and even on their own gadgets. This advancement is known as remote examination. Of course, educational institutions consider certain regulations to maintain integrity even in the remote examination, such as stating a timeline when the test has to be taken and making the students take the test through remote proctoring to ensure no cheating takes place. Thus, it offers a convenient environment for online testing for the students as well as for the institutes in their own way.