The technology has completely changed the way we do things, right from booking the cab to making payments, everything is digitized. Digitization has its own perks in terms of speed, accuracy and convenience. The digitization has reached its peak in the last decade in all industries including the education industry.
The academic institutions have largely adopted the technological tools to manage the crucial academic processes right from “admission to alumni registration”. This has made things happen faster and get automatically documented at the same time.
But still, there are certain academic processes which are yet to be digitized. During the pandemic, examinations were totally streamlined in an online way. Continuing the trend, The majority of the academic institutions are continuing to conduct the online examinations. If you are one of them, you can consider securing your online examination process.
It is often argued that the offline examinations have an edge over online examinations, if you are one of those who would prefer conducting the offline classroom based examinations, here are certain tips for your to digitize the offline examination process
Let us understand- Why digitization is needed?
There is a lot to learn from corporates,
Most of the corporations believe in the continuous improvement of the processes, and for continuous improvement, they implement “lean principles”; these principles believe in “cutting off the unnecessary processes” and to make the overall process simpler and less time consuming.
How can we apply lean principles for academic operations?
Let us understand this with an example of “Offline exam process”, Here is exactly “how you can implement the lean principles for “offline exam process”
The present offline exam process contains a lot of manual work, The manual work is often time consuming, less accurate, requires a lot of human efforts and is not cost effective
Example of such manual work in “Offline exam process” includes-
- Question paper creation by the paper setters (Scope of improvement- The papers can get leaked, the questions need to be handled manually)
- Transportation of answer sheets (Scope of improvement- Cut off the logistic cost for transportation of these answer sheets from exam center to examiner, storage of such large number of answersheet is hard, moreover, accessing the old record is a tough task)
- Result generation process (Scope of improvement- The result generation process can be automated, this will save cost and time)
Yes, we understood where we can improve!, above mentioned are the exact points for process improvement and applying the kaizen principles of continuous improvement in academic processes.
The next step is to improve and implement the process,
Steps to improve Offline Exam Process
Digital question bank creation
A digital question bank is a question bank which is created on the cloud, these question banks can serve as a great alternative to the paper printed question banks.
Here are certain advantages of creating the digital question bank-
- The question bank becomes omnipresent, meaning that it can be accessed anytime using the device with the internet.
- There are no chances of question bank leakage, only designated people with valid username and password can access these question banks
- The questions in digital question banks are reusable, once imported in the online question bank, the same questions can be repurposed for multiple other examinations.
- With digital question banks, it is easy to coordinate between the question editors (subject teachers). For example, there are two teachers who teach English subjects for a class, with an online system it is easy to coordinate between these two teachers. When first teacher makes any edit in the question, the updated question will be visible to second teacher in the question bank, this makes sure that the coordination among the teachers is proper
- It is possible to store the thousands of questions in the system, these questions can be exported in the PDF format on local computers as well.
- It is easier to manage the questions in online question bank management systems, the sorting of questions can be done on the basis of question type, subject, topic, and marks
Automatic question paper generation
The question paper generation can be totally automated, the question bank in digital format can be used for creating the question paper. The questions imported in the system can be reused for creating the question papers.
It is possible to create multiple sets of question papers using the online question paper generation module
Let us understand this with an example
Say, I want to create a question paper for the subject “Physics”.
For creating the question paper, I will import the questions under defined subjects and topics, Next, I will define the question paper parameters-
I want 50 question in exam
25 questions from topic “Gravity” and another 25 from topic “Elasticity”
I want the difficulty pattern to be, 25 Easy questions, 15 moderate questions, 10 difficult questions
Passing marks, 20.
Once all these parameters are fed, you get a question paper generated, this process can be repeated multiple times to get multiple sets of question papers.
Digital answer sheet checking
In conventional examinations, the answer sheets are transported from the examination center to the place of the examiner, this consumes the time and takes cost. By eliminating this process, we can significantly save cost and time.
Digital answer sheet evaluation process is much simpler and faster, the answer sheets are scanned with a lightning fast speed and are saved in the system, the login credentials are shared with the examiner, these examiners can use their login credentials and start checking the answer sheets.
Want to know more about digital answer sheet evaluation?, below video gives insights about the OnScreen Evaluation System-
ERP integrated result publication
Managing the results of examinations is yet another time taking task, a lot of manual intervention is required to collect and compile the result data from all the different teachers making the process tedious.
Technology can help to generate the results automatically, once the answer sheets of students are checked by all the examiners, it is a matter of a single click to retrieve student wise and exam wise results. These results can be exported into an excel sheet, the printable scorecards also get available in the system.
ERPs (Enterprise resource planning) tools are digital interfaces between the organization users, these ERPs are widely implemented in schools, these tools can be used for various communications between the school and students. With ERP integration, it is possible to directly roll out the results to students without any manual intervention.
It is very common to receive feedback from the students about the marks that they got in exams, this makes re-evaluation an inevitable process. The re-evaluation process makes students believe more in the exam process considering the transparency that re-evaluation brings in the examination process.
No doubt that re-evaluation increases reliability of results, but for administration, it comes up as a challenge to manage a large number of answer sheets. Staff finds it to be tedious to collect the single answer sheet from such a large number of answer sheets.
Also, the process of re-evaluation has to be time bound considering the academic requirements of students, if the re-evaluation process gets delayed, the students may end up losing a year.
Thus, time is a crucial factor in re-evaluation process,
What if I tell you that you can reduce the time of re-evaluation to 1/10 of the existing time requirement?
Yes, with the help of technology, the re-evaluation process can be made fast, you don’t need to find a few answer sheets from the big pile, it is as simple as searching a file in your PC, just enter the student roll number and get the answer sheet!
Isn’t it fascinating? Technology can enable you to do more with limited resources, and with great accuracy, you can manage things better in less time.
Reach out to us to know more about each of mentioned tools-
Eklavvya Result Management