An aptitude test is a standardized test that is administered to measure an examinee’s knowledge, skills, and abilities in relation to a job or profession. While aptitude tests are often used for recruitment and selection, they are also used for diagnostic purposes by a company to identify training needs and development opportunities.
Aptitude tests are usually multiple-choice tests, but they may also be structured as real-life work simulations or group activities. Aptitude test measures candidate’s problem solving, reasoning ability.
Nowadays, the aptitude tests are also being conducted as an integral part of campus placements, the corporates are following a sequence that contains-
- CV screening (Manually or using the AI tool, like eightfold.ai)
- Online Aptitude test
- Technical test such as coding test (Not so common for non-technical job roles)
- Group discussion
- HR round (Technical round is skipped if technical tests are conducted)
1- What are the advantages of conducting an aptitude test? #
The primary advantage of aptitude tests is that they are not influenced by the students’ previous academic records. Students who consider themselves good in studies and who have a history of academic excellence may not perform well in an aptitude test.
Thus, these tests allow us to evaluate the students on a level playing field. Besides, aptitude tests are in line with the current industry trends and job requirements that are not available in the academic records of students.
2- Why are aptitude tests becoming more popular day by day? #
The popularity of the online aptitude tests is rising high day by day primarily due to its various advantages over traditional ways of hiring.
Aptitude tests are becoming extremely popular these days. As these tests are based on the specific skills and abilities, the test results tell you what kind of job a person suits the best.
These tests are not only useful in educational institutions but also in business. Businesses often use these tests to select the right kind of work force for their company. Aptitude tests measure different skills and abilities of a candidate.
Aptitude tests are basically used to find out if a person will be suitable for a particular position. The skills that are measured through the tests are divided into categories like numerical, verbal and abstract reasoning, spatial reasoning and general knowledge.
3- What is an Aptitude Test ? #
Aptitude Test comprised of multiple choice questions based on mathematics, logical reasoning, Reading Comprehension etc. It helps to analyze problem solving ability of the individual.
Sample Aptitude Test Questions #
- A train travels at a speed of 72 km/h for 30 minutes and then at 60 km/h for the next 45 minutes. What is the average speed of the train for the entire journey? A) 64 km/h B) 65 km/h C) 66 km/h D) 67 km/h
- A group of friends go out to eat and the bill comes to $85. If they decide to split the bill equally among the 7 of them, how much will each person pay? A) $10.50 B) $11.50 C) $12.50 D) $13.50
- If a quarter is flipped three times, what is the probability of getting heads at least once? A) 1/8 B) 3/8 C) 5/8 D) 7/8
- If the code for BLUE is 2941, what is the code for PINK? A) 5738 B) 5739 C) 5838 D) 5839
- Which number comes next in the sequence: 2, 5, 11, 23, 47, ? A) 93 B) 95 C) 97 D) 99
Further reading– #
Step by step guide for simplifying campus placement process
5 practical ways to improve campus placements in year 2023
Aptitude tests for better recruitment
Sign up for free trial of online aptitude test software